Planning a cosmetic surgery can feel overwhelming. Let our experienced Patient Care Coordinators help demystify the process for you. To arrange a consultation to learn more about us and to find out if you are a good candidate for a facelift, please call Grossman Plastic Surgery in Denver at 303-557-4972.
Below, you will find a basic outline of the facelift process, from start to finish. Rest assured we will help you to understand the process every step of the way, and that all of your questions will be answered and concerns addressed.
Your Initial Consultation
The first step is to arrange an initial consultation. It is during this one-on-one appointment that you will discuss your goals with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons. They will help you to determine if a facelift is a right procedure for you by discussing your expectations and informing you if they are realistic or not.
The consultation is a very important time to get the information that you need. The plastic surgeons at Grossman Plastic Surgery take as much time as necessary to cover all your surgery bases. You can expect to:
- Point out the specific things that you would like to change
- Review your health history
- Review any current medical conditions
- Review any medications that you are currently taking
- Discuss treatment options, including the facelift process
- Discuss your risk of complications or side effects
- Discuss what you expect from the surgery and from the final results
In the conclusion of the consultation, your plastic surgeon will make a realistic recommendation. Your doctor will show you before-and-after photos of past patients who have undergone the same procedure. If indeed you are a candidate for a facelift, we will make sure that we educate you on the entire process from beginning to end, including:
- Surgery locations and facilities
One of our Surgical Consultants will cover all financing options as well and answer any questions that you may have.
Preparing for the Facelift Procedure
In the weeks before the surgery:
- If you smoke, you will have to quit at least six weeks out from your appointment. Smoking increases the risk of surgical complications and can lead to undesirable facelift results.
- Stay hydrated. It’s important for a speedy and effective recovery.
- Stop taking aspirin, Advil, and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs when we instruct you to do so.
- Stop eating as instructed the night before surgery.
- Prepare your home for recovery. Make sure that you have a comfortable environment ready so that you may relax and begin the healing process.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not attempt to perform any household duties. Take a week to rest and relax, while being sure to get up and walk around to promote blood circulation.
The day of the surgery:
- Bring a top that is easy for you to put on. A zip-up hoodie is recommended, as it is easy to put on and comfortable to wear. The treatment area will be sensitive and you want to avoid having to pull anything over your head.
- Expect the procedure to last several hours. Your surgeon will give you an estimated time on how long your surgery will take so that your ride home can prepare accordingly.
- Sedatives and/or anesthetics will be administered and your Anesthesiologist will be present in the room throughout your surgery. Your vitals will be monitored to ensure your comfort and safety.
- Once your plastic surgeon completes the facelift, you will wake up in our recovery room and rest until you feel stable and we clear you to go home.
After Surgery: The Recovery Process
In advance of your procedure, we will have told you what symptoms and sensations to expect during recovery. We will have also told you about warning signs indicating a possible complication, and you will have been instructed on what to do with your bandages and drainage tubes. We will make sure that you are well-informed with the information that you will need for a safe, speedy recovery.
Here are some tips for the hours and first day following the facelift:
- Keep your head elevated while resting, to reduce swelling.
- Moderate discomfort is normal. Take pain relievers as described by our staff.
- Bruising and swelling will be the most pronounced the first couple of days after the procedure. This will begin to dissipate over the next two weeks following surgery.
- Continue to wear bandages as instructed by our staff. In most cases, you will have them removed by your surgeon on a follow-up appointment.
- You should plan to be up and walking around the day after surgery. This will ensure blood flow which is vital to keep the tissue healthy and healing.
Our staff will be available to take your call should you have any issues or questions at any point after your facelift.
The Long Term: Maintaining Your Results
A good maintenance routine can help preserve your results for as long as possible:
- Wear sunscreen and wide-brimmed hats when out in the sun. Sun exposure is one of the most common and prevalent causes of skin aging. You can protect and preserve your results by avoiding excessive UV exposure.
- Eat well and pursue a healthy lifestyle. Weight fluctuations – especially those involving significant amounts of weight – may cause the skin to plump up and then deflate, which can lead to sagging. Pursue a healthy lifestyle and a stable weight.
- Check with our team about injectables and skincare methods to maintain smoother, more youthful skin. Injectables and great skincare can give you the edge you need to preserve youthful skin qualities.
- Don’t smoke! Smoking is really bad for your skin, in addition to all the other adverse health effects and the risk of cancer. If you are a smoker, use your great facelift results as an opportunity to kick the habit. Reach out to your doctor if you need help quitting.
The full facelift procedure typically yields results that last for about 10 years. A mini facelift’s results may last fewer years. A facelift essentially turns back the hands of time on your facial appearance, but it cannot stop the natural aging process. You can expect to see skin sag again in the decades ahead, but your face will look fresher and more youthful than it would otherwise.
Arranging the Initial Consultation
Ready to take the first step? To schedule a facelift consultation in Denver with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons, please call Grossman Plastic Surgery at 303-557-4972. You can also contact us by completing the form on this page.